Our History

Original Strong's sign

Original Strong’s sign

Do you remember Strong’s of Romsey?

Some people may still remember Strong’s of Romsey, the brewery being a landmark in the centre of Romsey town for well over a century before being converted into offices and housing during the 1990’s.

Keen to use one of our nation’s traditional methods for producing real ale – the Double Drop brewing method, Nigel joined forces with Ann Stantiford and Terry Baker, forming a strong team to take on the mantle.  The 3 directors felt a natural affiliation with the town, having met and regaled in stories past told by Henry Slater, Strong’s last Managing Director. Flack Manor Brewery was born in 2010 and the Flack brand evolved as a result of some very special history surrounding the area.

Airmen recuperating at Stanbridge Earls

Airmen recuperating at Stanbridge Earls 1943.

During the Second World War, Stanbridge Earls Estate and Roke Manor served as a rest and recuperation centre for aircrew.  Known as Station 503 and endearingly called Flak Shack, this was the brewery’s inspiration for the name Flack Manor Brewery.   Finding ideal spacious premises on the Romsey Industrial Estate, the team also set up a brewery shop called the Flak Shack, which replicates the bygone era.

Flack's 'Flak Shack'

John Sergeant in The ‘Flak Shack’

Romsey’s brewing history also attracted  the attention of John Sergeant and the BBC who were producing a documentary on the photographer Francis Frith and historical Britain.

To read more on the history surrounding brewing in Romsey and the inspiration behind Flack Manor, download the eBook ‘Life, the Universe and everything brewing